- Dedicated, innovative, accurate, enthusiastic, strong work ethic.
- Bachelor of Engineering Science from Johns Hopkins University.
- Broad knowledge of computer architectures, process technologies.
- Continues to read and evaluate promising methodologies.
- Unix, C, Perl/DBI, CGI, Oracle, Web Admin, genomics exp.
- Experience on AIX, Sun, Alpha, Linux, IBM mainframe platforms.
- Understands how to extract data stored in complex formats (ETL?).
- Over 15 years in 'critical' real-time software development.
- Long history in engineering using Fortran and assembly language.
- DBMS/SQL background using Oracle, Sybase, Informix.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills.
- Clearances: TS/SSBI, inactive since 7/29/06.
|Experience: || |
Odd contract jobs: Web/form development, analysis, assorted other.
- Built and maintains www.fcta.org Linux web site.
- Developed Perl/CGI form to easily build and maintain web files.
- Developed Perl/CGI form to multiply encrypt/decrypt messages for email.
- Developed tools for analyzing Virginia precinct-level districting.
- Developed Perl/CGI form to compute and report retiree benefits for OPM.
- Developed Perl/CGI carpool-connector app for future web site.
- Developed Perl app to plot market trends; least-squared algorithm.
- Developed Perl/CGI "No More Clipboard" medical intake app for a WV doctor,
to speed up admissions. Patient could use at home.
Software Engineer, CSC Federal Systems (Chantilly, VA)
Developed Perl/CGI local improvements to the Electronic Case Filing (ECF)
System on Linux servers at the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. (The ECF database was Informix, accessed via straight SQL.)
Earlier performed web administration/maintenance on Sun/Unix servers at the
Defense Technical Information Center at Ft Belvoir, VA.
- Added value for the local court by transparently integrating into the
global 94-court baseline ECF environment without disruptions. (Example: https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/Opinions.pl?2017)
- Worked with the Operations staff to develop easier ways to manage the
day-to-day clerical activities required to run the Court.
- Documented our added capabilities in HTML so that other courts can examine
our value-added scripts and view actual or sample results.
- Heavy use of Perl regexp and hashing capabilities to manipulate and
regenerate HTML content and appearance.
- Worked on web aspects including CGI, advanced URL usage and mapping to
the physical environment, HTML fundamentals.
- Modularized HTML files using meta-tags to bracket page-specific content
and 'SSI include fragments' to minimize repetitive sequences.
array processing tasks (table sorting, multiple listboxes) from the web
- Converted HTML pages into XSLT/XML. Experimented with Web 2.0 concepts.
Software Engineer, Celera Genomics (Rockville, MD)
Performed post-sequencing storage, retrieval, and delivery of massive numbers
of genomic tracefiles using Perl/DBI in a 64-bit Unix/Alpha and Oracle DBMS
environment. (Challenging, exciting, great fun.)
(Laid off with 131 others as company phased out high-throughput genomics
- Developed many production-grade Perl scripts.
- Manipulated complex Oracle data (including blobs, clobs) via the Perl DBI
interface and via PL/SQL.
- Performed data extraction, table synchronization across multiple databases.
- Devised POSIX constraints for delivery of multi-gigabyte-sized tarfiles
to the NIH customer.
- Learned basic genomic principles -- base pairs, codons, vectors, clear
range, data representation.
- Streamlined the C-based TraceTuner tracefile basecaller software for
sister company Paracel.
Software Engineer, Pragmatics Inc. (McLean, VA)
Worked on DISA's Joint Operations Planning and Execution System (JOPES),
providing maintenance and analysis of assorted Sun/Unix systems.
Worked on the Interim Tactical Orderwire System (ITOS) NT-based system.
Analyzed/tested the communication protocols to an undocumented frequency
downconverter, and wrote the IDD for same.
Software Engineer, Princeton Information (at MCI in Chantilly, VA)
Worked on MCI's Unix-based local access billing system.
- Became familiar with Bellcore Carrier Access Usage records.
- Maintained C code processing these 'EMR' records in an Informix env.
- Demonstrated how Perl's associative array and other capabilities could
speed up existing tasks.
Software Engineer, Software Technology Inc. (Alexandria, VA)
Worked on NRL-sponsored 'proof of concept' for DISA's 'DII COE' C4I env,
to supercede Army GCCS and Navy JMCIS 'stovepipe' systems.
- Acquired approp HW; acq'd/installed DII COE v3.0 and a GNU C compiler.
- Wrote drivers to test DII COE, with its extensive built-in C4I tool set.
- Acquired expertise in VMF and USMTF DoD messaging formats.
- Wrote a VMF translation utility in Perl, to decode message frames collected
by 'snoop' from the LAN. (The existing toolset did not yet have a working
'COM' package in place, so I had to reverse-engineer the VMF messaging
format for testing purposes.)
Software Engineer, Princeton Info. (at Lockheed-Martin in Rockville, MD)
Designed/developed C and Unix scripting tools and Interleaf documentation
for use in FAA networked computers. Required innovation and delving into
- Designed/developed CPU and memory performance and metrics tools to verify
'50% spare' compliance. Two simple C drivers worked subtractively to deny
a percentage of CPU or memory resources according to user-specified
scenario. AIX trace tools then used to measure overall performance
degradation under load.
- Designed/developed tools to analyze computer messaging traffic.
||Bachelor of Engineering Science, Johns Hopkins University